Skip to main content

#nofilter #selfie #AnotherInternetTrend

What better topic for a blog that has consistently discussed some of the major wastes of time in today's world than the virtual highway. Cyberspace. The World Wide Web.

The average person spends 23 hours per week online. That includes everything from creeping your ex on Facebook to researching a topic you should already be familiar with in order to do your job. It's SO easy to get lost in the abundance of tabs and information and even easier to get caught up in the many internet fads and campaigns floating around.

If you've never taken part in one of those social media trends (ex. neknomination?) or hopped on an internet bandwagon (here's looking at you Kony 2012) then you better head to your local church for confessional, because you are a liar. Everyone's found themselves wrapped up in the "internet community" at some point or another, nothing to be embarrassed about folks.

So that's why I want to take a look at one of the more recent trends floating around in cyberspace right now - the whole no makeup, love your skin selfie nomination campaign.

#nomakeup #loveyourskin Selfie - Even after some research I'm not sure what this thing is actually titled or where it originated but I think it started with some celebrity. The point (from what I gather) is it involves posting a picture of yourself with no makeup on and without a filter and then nominating your friend to do the same. From what I gather, the campaign wants to encourage people to be comfortable in their own skin and confident about who they are. With all of the pressure to look beautiful (especially now that selfies are a thing) the women empowerment, love yourself stuff is kind of refreshing and I dig it. BUT, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

I have a couple of small issues with the campaign. First of all, like any internet/social media trend, the true message gets lost in the abyss after a few people jump on board. Most of the #nomakeup selfies I've seen are followed by some sort of disclaimer - "Oh god, please ignore my pale skin and 1000s of freckles. Can't believe you guys made me post this. My eyebrows suck." - Or something along those lines. So, is the point really being made? Are we really empowering girls to feel beautiful just the way they are?

The other issue I have is - I freakin' love makeup! I agree, women are beautiful with or without it. But if you told me I couldn't wear it for a week, I'd be devastated. Not because I'm worried about how I look without it, but because it's fun and let's me be creative and artistic in the only way I really know how.

So I guess I'm pretty neutral about the whole thing. I get why people are embracing it (and it's certainly heads and tails above some of the other posts I've seen recently) but I still don't really get it.

I prefer to define people based on their personality and characteristics, rather than whatever they have smeared on their face (be it eye shadow and bronzer or chocolate syrup, I won't judge).


Wine at the time: Kim Crawford Pinot Noir (it's worth the couple extra bucks - straight out of New Zealand, it's dry and smooth)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Found in The Depths of the Internet

I work an office job. Luckily, that office job is in the marketing and promotions department, so I'm not constantly tied to my desk. BUT there are days that I spend, like, 6 hours in a row on my computer. Aside from poor posture, this also gives me the opportunity to search the web and waste time discovering cool things like recipes and home decor and new bands!!! Usually when I find a new thing  that I love, I annoy the crap out of my boyfriend or my iPhone group chat with details about said thing. So instead, why not plop them here? Here are 5 things that I've found while I should've been working: 1.  couchseats.com This website is kind of like Pinterest - but for music. You can totally get lost in a deep, deep hole of clicking and listening. If you're a music lover this is absolutely going to be your best friend. It features endless videos of live music from super well-known artists like Dave Grohl and Ed Sheeran, to more indie musicians like We Are Twin. You...

Ria Mae Album Review

Ria Mae is from the little-big city of Halifax, Nova Scotia and has had no problem packing venues - be it dive bars or concert halls - since her hit single, Clothes Off , hit the airwaves last year. Mae moved to Montreal in the winter in hopes of being inspired and courted by the city’s booming music scene. It looks like that’s exactly what happened as she released her self-titled album on June 3rd. While her sound is mostly pop, there are hints of alternative, hip-hop and even R&B that give her songs a sexy, Montreal-esque feel that has her fans dancing and sipping cocktails while jamming to her music. The new album features her two singles - Clothes Off and Gold - both with incredibly catchy beats and melodies. There’s so much sex appeal behind these tunes (especially Clothes, as you could’ve probably guessed) that it has probably become a regular in many club playlists. Many of the other songs on the album, though, have more of a pop feel which really showcase Mae’s voc...

What Re-Watching The Office Taught Me About Love at 27

When Michael Scott was making everyone cringe and giggle in 2005, I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention to show The Office . It wasn’t until I re-watched it at 27 years old that I realized how many lessons it was teaching me. This show is somehow constantly relevant. It’s been off-air for a couple of years, but the memes and Tweets about it are still constant. People are always re-binging it. That’s the sign of a great sitcom.   The comedy has taught me more about love - and all the different versions of love - than any other form of media in my life. While Pam and Jim are a big part of it, I even learned from Dunder Mifflin’s hilariously-inappropriate manager. But we’ll start with the obvious… 1. Friendship first Pam and Jim have a love story that started out as a friendship and there’s no better way to fall in love. Falling for someone who is honestly your best friend is scary, exciting and just downright weird. It comes with a lot of risks, but if it works, it’...